The nation’s community water departments have been mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency to identify every water customer’s service line (the water line coming into your residence) as well as the identification of your interior plumbing. Residents need to investigate the main water line that enters their residence or facility and respond to the City of Alamogordo - Utilities Department with the type of water line found on the inside and the material used for most of the interior plumbing.
Water Line Types
- Lead - pipe resembles a snake that has swallowed a mouse and may be curved
- Galvanized - has thicker, threaded fittings
- Copper - the color of a penny and may have greenish corrosion
- Plastic - usually black or blue in color and is smooth
- Unknown - many times it is difficult to determine the type of pipe. A Public Works representative can be sent out to identify the pipe.
The EPA also requires identification of interior plumbing. A dwelling may have several different kinds of pipes. For this survey, please pick only one, which is the material that was primarily used.
Complete the Water Service Line Survey.