Steps to becoming an APD Officer
1.5 Mile Run - 15:54 (Minutes:seconds)
300 Meter Run - 71.0 Seconds
- Allow adequate time prior to the test for stretching and proper warm-up exercises.
- The applicant should refrain from smoking, chewing tobacco, caffeinated drinks, energy aides, or eating for two hours preceding the test.
- The applicant should remember to properly stretch before and after each exercise to prevent any injuries.
- During the administration of the test, the applicants will be informed of their lap times. If several applicants run at once, their individual times at the finish line will be called out.
- An important consideration at the end of the runs is the “cool down” period. The applicants should be cautioned about not sitting or standing stationary after the run to prevent venous pooling.
Sit-ups - 27 - one minute time limit
- The applicant starts by lying down on their back, knees bent, heels flat on the floor, fingers interlaced and placed behind the head.
- Partner holds feet firmly.
- In the up position, the applicant should touch the elbows to knees and then return until the shoulder blades touch the floor. Any resting should be done in the up position. No rocking hips. If fingers become unlaced, adjustment must be made in the up position.
Upper Body Strength
Push-ups - 15 - one minute time limit
- The hands are placed about shoulder width apart. The administrator or partner places a fist on the floor below the applicant’s chest at the midpoint of the sternum. (Unless a male is testing a female)
- Starting from the up position (elbows fully extended), the applicant must keep the back straight at all times (no swayback or elevated hips) and lower their body to the floor until the chest touches the administrators fist. Applicant then returns to the up position. Any resting should be done in the up position.
Modified push-ups are no longer optional for female applicants. All applicants are required to perform standard push-ups as described in 1 and 2 above.
In addition to passing our physical requirements, applicants must also meet the following:
Each applicant must obtain a passing score on a written examination. Study guides & and practice tests may be purchased online at Apply To Serve at this link https://www.applytoserve.com/Study/ Please choose the POST guide & test.
Oral / Practical Interview
A panel consisting of city employees and Alamogordo Police Department personnel will interview each applicant.
An extensive background investigation will be conducted on each applicant.
Each applicant must undergo a psychological evaluation.
Voice Stress Analysis (VSA) Examination
Each applicant must undergo a voice stress analysis (VSA) test.
Each applicant must undergo a complete physical evaluation, including vision, hearing and drug-screening test.